I usually make this vegetable pongal for our weekend brunch as it is a power packed one pot meal that satisfies everything we usually have in a full course meal.It has lentils,vegetables ,spice seasoning and most importantly our staple food ,rice.
To make this vegetable pongal,
- Take equal measure of rice and split mung lentil(or can be increased or decreased according to taste)
- Roast dal and rice in a tsp of ghee ,cook till soft.
- In a deep,wide pan,heat a tsp of ghee and saute 1/2 tsp each of mustard and cumin,till mustard seeds pop.Add leaves from a sprig of curry leaf.Saute.
- Add choice of vegetables like chopped carrot,beans,green peas.Tomato can also be used.
- Add finely chopped green chilly,saltand pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook till veggies are soft and tender.Sprinkle water if needed.
- When done,gently stir in cooked lentil-rice mixture.Stir.
- Add fried cashewnuts and few cilantro sprigs finely chopped.Serve with yogurt or any other choice of accompainment.
Thank you Latha.