Grits is made by finely grinding corn kernels that are dried and hulled.More information about grits can be found here.I have been using this grits to make idlies like rav idly.It has now become a part of my common breakfast menu these days.
To make these idlies,
- Dry roast grits till nice aroma comes and grits turn to very light golden colour.
- Remove from heat and add desired amount of grated carrot and finely chopped beans.Few sprigs of cilantro finely chopped can also be stirred in.
- Add and stir yogurt to this mixture just enough to make the batter thin like a cake batter.
- In a pan,heat a tsp of ghee,add a tsp of cashewnuts and/or peanuts and fry them till golden.Then,add half tsp each of mustard and cumin and let mustard seeds pop.
- Add this to the mixture.Add salt to taste,stir and leave it overnight so that the mixture is ready to make idlies the next day morning.
- Make idlies as usual and serve with any chutney.