Monday, May 14, 2007

Kura Karam(Curry Powder)




recipe source: My Mom
prep time': 10 mins

Unlike the other podis/powders of Andhrites,this podi Iam posting today here as my recipe is different. This podi Kura Karam is used spice up curries like a chilly powder to bring a versatile different taste to the normal cooking. Unlike chilly powder you need not restrict this powder to 1/4 tsp or 1 tsp. It does no harm and does not make the curry hot.This powder can be used with almost any recipe and every recipe.I have seen my mom and others using this podi in various curries like dondakaya/tindora,vankaya/brinjal,beerakaya/ridge guard. Among these popular routine recipes for me ,I also use this podi/powder to mix and match the tastes in my kitchen . This kura karam brings an excellent taste by itself and can be added to any fries and curries instead of chilly powder. I'll post the recipes of curries where I use this powder soon.
Ingredients:
1 cup dhaniyalu/coriander seeds
1 cup chana dal
1 cup urad dal
15 red chillies
1 tsp methi seeds
1/4th tsp jeera
Method:
Roast all the ingredients in a pan with a tbsp oil either individually(preferred) or together . Once the fried ingredients are completely cool, grind them to a fine powder and store in air tight jar.

3 comments:

  1. interesting combination. Will try it sometime. The eggplant curry with ginger and green chillies looks delicious. I'm going to try it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Mandira for stopping by. plz let me know how my brinjal curry turns out in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madhavi,

    u took me back to my Mom's kitchen!! I made this podi only yesterday and having a good time eating now. Anyways, thanks a lot for bringing our Andhra Vegetarian kitchen flavours to everyone.

    Regards,

    Vasudha.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin